Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Clinical Placement: Imagination into Reality

5 weeks placement buddies
Being a little bit of a social phobia, I did not look forward to the placement at all. Yes, Me, SOCIAL PHOBIA. For people who knows me well probably think I'm joking, more or less, I do afraid to socialize with people because I am afraid of being judged negatively.

So, did I look forward to the placement? NO. Did I enjoy the placement? YES.

This was not my first time having placement at the Mater, in fact, I had already had two weeks placement there November last year. Yet, that didn't make me feel any better knowing that I was going back to the same hospital for another 5 weeks placement. However, I must admit, at the end of the placement, because of what an amazing time I have had over the 5 weeks, I did feel sad to leave.

To sum up the experience,

As a student, I turned theory into practice.
As a learner, I gained tips and tricks to improve my skills.
As a member of a team, I learnt the essence of working with different people.
As a person, I picked up some lessons of a lifetime.
As a Christian, I finally know how difficult it is, to be true light and salt in a community.

A brother in Christ once said, it is easy to be who you want to be in a group of people who share the same beliefs as you, but it is a challenge to stand strong in a group that doesn't. It is true.

Especially for a person with social phobia, I do not like being looked at differently, so I would try to blend into the group, which is not a good testimony for God. Throughout the 5 weeks, everyday I would start my day by having devotion and praying that I would show my Christian identity through the rest of the day. By the end of the day, I would pray for God's forgiveness for the things I did or said that didn't impress God. Though it makes me feel rather disappointed in myself, it also helps me create a stronger bond with God. I know God understands my weakness, and I believe He will strengthen me. So I know there's nothing to be ashamed of because I will only grow into a more mature Christian.

 So for the Christians out there who are / going to be in a similar situation as me, whether it is changing your workplace, moving to a new town etc. Remember, you are not alone. Be proud of your Christian identity, don't be afraid of the challenges awaiting, for the Bible tells us:
 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.  Romans 5: 3-5
 不但如此,就是在患难中也是欢欢喜喜的;因为知道患难生忍耐,4忍耐生老练,老练生盼望;5盼望不至於羞耻,因为所赐给我们的圣灵将神的爱浇灌在我们心里。 羅馬書5:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment